20 July 2013

The seriousness of a (semi) long distance runner...

I could just have the most understanding supervisor ever.  After nearly dying from heat stroke on Tuesday evening (I can have a sense of the dramatic on occasion) from running my 3 miles along the Atlanta Beltline which has little to no shade I realised that I needed to switch my running to the mornings if I was going to keep to my schedule, enjoy it and not die.

While I clocked my three miles in 35 minutes (included a couple of walking stretches) I know I am not going to get stronger or faster if I continue to do the majority of my training in the evening summer heat.  So my great boss TC has agreed to let me come into work a little later on Tuesday's, Wednesday's and Thursday's. This will allow me to run in the mornings and not be rushed into work overheated and hungry. Three cheers for TC please.




Wednesday's training run was also weather affected.  Atlanta experienced 3 inches of rain fall in about 2 hours.  Flash flood warnings and rivers flowing down the roads meant that Mr Lapin met me at our local bar where we stayed put for a couple of hours.  I was eventually able to get my run in, another 3 miles, this time in the park.  It was however a little dicey for two reasons: 1) I had not really digested the burger I had eaten earlier and 2) I was accompanied throughout my run by intermittent fork lightning over the skyline. Between the indigestion and the lightning I was not really sure what pace I should be trying to maintain - faster to avoid getting struck or slower to avoid throwing up.


Saturday's group run went well.  Six miles with a steep hill at the beginning, a steady incline to mile three then we double backed and the return was downhill all the way. Weather was bright, sunny, humid but not too hot. I finished in 1 hour 10 minutes which I am happy with for my first long run. Slow pace of 11.23/min but I did not stop or walk at any part of it. I had set Saturday's goal of running the entire distance no matter how slow. From now on it is about working toward steady increases in speed and distance so by week four I am able to see more progress.

This week I have four runs, increasing my mid-week long run by 1 mile.  Next Saturday is another 6 miler with speed work mixed in.  Another two weights session with Mr Lapin will help with the strength and I will begin to focus on improving my diet.

Training stats to date
DATE
DISTANCE
TIME
PACE/HOUR
Saturday 13 July
4 miles
44:49
11:32
Tuesday 16 July
3 miles
35:21
11:45
Wednesday 17 July
3 miles
35:10
11:33
Saturday 20 July
6 miles
1:10:48
11.23


No comments:

Post a Comment