16 July 2013

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

My sister sent me a book for my birthday this year "What I talk about when I talk about running" by Haruki Murakami.  As the title suggests it is about running.  Mr Murakami has run a marathon every year for the past 23 years and in 2008 he published a book about his meditations on his running journey.



I have not read any of his other works but I started this one last week and the phrase in the title of this blog was what jumped out at me when I read the preface.  A simple yet effective mantra that I repeated to myself several times on Saturday during my first training run for the All State half in October.  It was billed as an "easy 4 miles" and while it was not terrible, I don't know whether I would categorize it as "easy"...


The training programme I have signed up to started last Saturday.  The schedule asks for four runs a week - 2 easy, 2 long.  One cross training day and two days of rest.  Mixed into the 13 week schedule is some speed work and hill work.  My plan is to also get in  at least two weight sessions at the gym per week and then I have to figure out what my cross training activity is going to be.  Most likely cycling but I will also include some lunch time walking.

I am also revamping or to be more accurate reengaging with a healthier diet.  I had let that slip quite a bit these past few months.  So the kilos I had successfully lost, very successfully found me again *sigh*...



If I want to complete the race in 2 hours 10 minutes, it means I need to run a 9.55 min/mile. I ran the half in March at an average pace of 11.07 minute mile. I have a lot of work to do so it is a good thing I signed up for the help I am going to need to meet this goal.

Part of the excitement of training for this race is challenging myself to follow this plan and be intentional about improving.  When I trained for the March race I did not know what I was running.  I did not know what 13.1 miles felt like.  I did not really understand pace.  After the race I did and I decided if I were to run one again, I was going to train effectively for it.  That meant a committed training programme, a committed diet and serious thought put into strengthening my body.

I think I have it all covered, the physical, the nutritional and the spiritual/intellectual - I am reading both the Murakami book and Hal Higdon's Marathon - The Ultimate Training Guide; which when I think about it perhaps a bit of a betrayal.... After all I am training with Phidippides and that is the store opened by Jeff Galloway.

Mind you in the end I am sure neither will be that concerned and as long as I hit my goal and I will be thankful for all the help I got.

Training Run #2 tonight is 3 miles (easy).  Pain is inevitable, suffering in optional, heat stroke is avoidable.

1 comment: