1 April 2012

Too Hot to Run?

I have been contemplating this question for the past week - is it ever too hot to run?  I am not talking about the Olympic marathons runners or those who take part in endurance races in the desert, but I am talking about runners like me who are just starting out or those that run shorter races most weekends.

Here in Thailand the hot season has suddenly ramped itself up and last week saw the temperature hit around 37C (falling only slightly to 35C in the evening).  Along with the rising mercury the humidity has also been going up.  The combination has made my last three outside runs feel as though I am running in a sauna or at any rate having to fight my way through something heavy that is trying to drag me backwards.  The air has been thick and sultry and most certainly tropical.  And while this is to be expected in April in Bangkok it has made me wonder whether it is ever too hot to run outside?


Running in these temperatures has meant that I have worked up a good sweat and I have come off my runs feeling a nice glow of healthiness and my skin has certainly looked good this week - an unexpected and I suspect unintended consequence of running in a Sauna. But is this really doing me any good?  And while my my times have been pretty decent, my heart has taken a pounding.

So while I was storing up my liquids and keeping my self well hydrated through my runs it has led me to consider whether it is worth running so much out side for the next couple of months (roughly how long this extreme heat is going to last)?

It's been hot, seriously hot...

Talking to some other runners, the consensus seems to be to take it slow and keep taking in liquids which I ended up doing as well as completing my circuits in a run/walk mode.  I will just use this hot season as an acclimatiser and hope it makes me stronger.

I have also cracked why my running routine had collapsed so spectacularly and I was finding it tough to get back on track.  I did not have a goal.  I had made February's 10k race my goal last year, I trained towards it and ran it.  Afterwards I was a bit deflated.  I was listless, not really knowing what I was running for.  Yes, I was enjoying it and I was feeling guilty when I was not running, but I was finding it more difficult to motivate myself.  I realised I did not have a 'reason' to run.

Once that connection was made I scanned the Bangkok race events and I identified two 10k races that we can participate in together.  One in May and one in June.

Luckily I have only another week of these temperatures because Mr Lapin and I are off to London for an Easter break and some lovely spring runs in the park!

A final word on distance, despite my Daily Mile widget telling you I have run 10k (this week's total), I have in fact clocked up 300k on my Nike+ since last August.  Hurrah for gadgets that keep you motivated.

1 comment:

  1. keep up the good work. lots of love Ron Hill

    ReplyDelete