28 March 2012

Flooding not Running

A couple of weeks ago I cancelled my evening run (I know I was complaining in the previous post about my lack of running time - but I'm human what can I say?)  Instead Mr Lapin and I made hasty arrangements to meet at Siam Paragon, a gargantuan monument to high end materialistic consumerism that is all the rage in Thailand, to go and see John Carter at the pictures.  Despite us both loving films we seldom manage to get ourselves to the cinema so this was a treat for us.  We splurged the extra Baht and paid for the luxury screen which seemed to enable us to watch John Carter on Layzboys.

All was going well, we had time to spare so we headed to the bookshop to browse before the film.  Then my mobile rang, it was our neighbour with the words "you have to come home now, your flat is flooding." What the f%*k?

She then ominously added "it's bad, prepare yourself"  Rushing home and up to the 7th floor, we came out of the lift and were confronted by about an inch of water that had seeped out from our apartment across the hall.  A tap in the bathroom burst and spewed water at an alarmingly high rate across the bathroom, our bedroom, out to the sitting room and kitchen, under the door and walls (old badly converted apartment building Thai building standards are not quite what they are in the UK) and into our neighbours home.

Water, water everywhere - and it was

There was water everywhere.  Thankfully, living in Thailand, in an apartment building means that there are a lot of maintenance staff.  They mobilised themselves and armed with super sized window squeegies descended upon our home to sweep the water out, lift furniture, rescue carpets and generally take care of it all.  I loved them.  The damage has been minimal.  Because of the quick action by our neighbour in getting into our home and turning the tap off and alerting the staff the water probably wasn't resting for more than an hour.  How it avoided flooding the electricity sockets and power strips I do not know but it did.    

Furniture that had been sitting in water dried quickly, the carpets have not suffered too much are off to the cleaners.  What did get damaged though was me!  I managed to do the classic 'slipping on a banana skin' comedy fall.  One slip and up I turned and down I came hitting the wooden floor on my backside.  Nothing too damaged except for a deep bruise. However it has put paid to my running this week and bending is proving a tad sore.*

So it seems something else had come up to put a spanner in the works of my getting back to running regularly.  So instead of running I'm perusing the running blogs and enjoying other people's runs this weekend and trying to plan a return trip to see John Carter...

*Since first drafting this over a week ago, we have managed to get the carpets cleaned, I took up tennis and my bruised behind recovered enough for me to break my self-imposed running embargo and put in a decent 6k in 49:01 on Monday.  Oh, yes, she's back and running!


No comments:

Post a Comment