13 December 2011

Why I run

I hit an age last March; an age when if you were a man it was said that your life was just beginning, but if you were a woman, you were ‘over the hill’.  Or, that is what society used to dictate.  In 2011 however, a women being 40 is meant to have everything going for her; a great career, a caring partner, perhaps kids but most importantly a fantastic figure.  Somehow, getting older has not proven to be any easier.  I dread to think what 50 will bring.  What ‘ideal’ will be being peddled in 2021?  So in August this year, fed up of, well being fed up, I started running.
 
I have tried to run before, I have had several failed attempts over the last 15 years but I never became comfortable, it never felt natural, never simple.  If I am to be honest, what drove to me run all those years ago was jealousy.  Jealously of my husband who, besides being caring and wonderful, is probably one of the most beautiful runners you can watch.  He glides, effortlessly.  It may not be the best reason to start something but that was what compelled me to try to run back then. 


Something strange happened when I started again this year, I enjoyed it.  It felt good to be running, moving forward and achieving something.  I was running with a friend, something that I had never done before and that has made it different. Running has become companionable and even though there are days when we are running side by side, lost in our own thoughts, not talking it is just nice to be running together.  We run in Lumpini Park, which for those of you who don’t know Bangkok is probably the nicest park in the city.  A large green space, with shaded paths and a lake – often referred to as the lung of Bangkok as it is one of the few open spaces in a city full of concrete, glass and car fumes.

I have been running now for almost five months and last night I ran 10km in 1 hour 5 minutes, my fastest time ever and I like to think there were a few moments of effortless gliding going on.  I am training now, trying to run 10km in 1 hour or under all in preparation for my first race next February here in Bangkok.  


A race that I will be running with my husband.

4 comments:

  1. I too started running at the advent of my 40th birthday (thus effortlessly starting my only competitive sports career as a "Master" which has a certain ring to it) and also in the context of companionship - running first with a 'learn to run class' and then with a friend I met there. I ran with great joy for about 6 years but always and best in the context of a goal (a race) and a friend (someone who wanted to run just a bit more than I did & kept me going). So I think of you running in Lumpini (vaulting over the monitor lizards no doubt) and chatting or not and retrospectively share in that floating joy. Run on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. remember that time we went running in Holland Park, back in 1997?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started running in 2000 because I had gotten fat and at my age it would be difficult to lose. Now I run as much as possible given my work situation. Keep running !

    ReplyDelete