18 December 2011

On the path to speed

On Thursday I ran my fastest mile, 9mins 27sec; however I didn't manage much else having run so fast that I tired myself out at 3.45km.  This got me thinking about speed training - everything I read about running talks about the need to speed train to increase your strength and times.  Speed as well as hill training, but with the absence of anything approaching a serious incline in Bangkok I think I am going to have to focus on speed while running here.  My conundrum is how to increase speed without flaking out with my first attempt and getting discouraged.




What I've noticed while running in Lumpini is the number of different running styles there are.  Through my purely unscientific but observational research (watching people running past me) I have noticed that the Thais seem to run fast by employing the small-rapid-step-upright-body style while the westerners seem to run fast using the long-strides-bodies-leaning-forward style.


I felt that I needed to research this a little bit to work out how to start the speed thing myself.  So I have turned to the experienced runner in the house, my husband, and he has given me some good tips.  He suggested I try the small-steps-using-the-balls-of-my-feet with arms close to my sides technique and see how that felt and last night I had a go.  While it felt very strange, it was clear that I was able to run much faster using that style.  It was definitely different to my regular 'this is a marathon not a sprint' approach to my runs which could be characterised as a more plodding technique.  The sprinting did knacker me out within two laps of the park but I think the small steps approach may be one that I continue with.  I will let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. ah the old speed training bit, I had a problem with this as well training in the flat lands of the fens, where the only incline is down into a drainage ditch! my trainer also had the same issue as we were running along the Thames. So hat we did was speed intervals, doesn't have to be too scientific, the the principle is that you run faster between 2 objects, e.g. trees, which you seem to have an abundance of in the park, then slow aback to your original pace in between to catch your breath, but not stopping. You can and should vary the length of the interval of speeding, and resting, but e.g. 10 secs of speed, 30 secs recovery run, 20 secs speed 30 secs recovery run. Rather than timing yourself rigidly use different trees to run between, much nicer to 'see' your goal, and stops you giving up easier, I found! This is what I did for training and it does increase your slow, plodding run times as you call it, without the need for hills. Also you make the run overall a bit shorter when you're doing speed training, I.e. do 5km rather than a 10 km run when you're doing interval training. do it twice a week and you should see a difference in your times. you're doing brilliantly already Hun, honestly! jxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. fartlek: that's Swedish for speed-play. LSD: not the drug, but long slow distance running. keep up the good work Contessa

    ReplyDelete