17 August 2013

The runners around me

As we know female runners are different to male runners - there is always a new article in a running magazine or website that tells us this. Our bodies are different and therefore our training and injuries tend to be different. I have been living in the United States for one year now. That is one year of running amongst the American female runner and I can report that in the USA the female runner comes in many forms and varieties. Below are just a few that I have spotted out and about these past 12 months.

1. Super Mum Runner

There she is, wonder woman in the perfectly laundered running kit pushing not one, not even two but three children in a buggy up a hill and holding a conversation with them all the while. I am never sure whether I should be jealous or impressed when I see here and so I veer between the two whenever I see this specimen of runner. Now I know that her life is just like mine, full of things she has forgotten to do and complete exhaustion come Friday night.  But when I see her out running, I think of her as the woman who doesn't have "can't" in her vocabulary.





3. Will Run for Beer

This runner is anywhere between 29-42 (and there is a male form too). They are the runners who have woken up to the fact that they are no longer in college. They can no longer drink the beer they used to and still fit into their jeans. So they make a pact with themselves and a group of friends - if I run then I can drink beer. And like most running types - appearances are deceptive. While they will profess to "run for beer" these runners are competitive. Soon they realise that running is fun and the longer and faster you run the more beer you can drink afterwards. The "Will Run for Beer" crowd are to be seen loud and proud at most races from a 5K to a half-marathon. 13.1 miles - just think how much beer you can drink after running that distance!



3. The Glamorous Older Lady Runner

I have been struggling to find the best way to name this runner. The best I can come up with is "Glamorous Older Lady Runner." This is the runner who is immaculately turned out. Coordinated outfit, perfect hair and jewellery. However do not let the outward appearance fool you (a bit like the "Will Run for Beer" crowd). The "Glamorous Older Lady Runner" is fast. Really fast. You see her sprinting around the track with nary a a hair out of place. I just think this runner is of the mind that just because I am going for a run does not mean I shouldn't put the effort in. She is really the sort of runner who could look just at home sipping a mimosa at the local brunch place as running a 10K race.



4. The 'Runner'

Finally there is the specimen that I call the "Runner." The "Runner" is the runner that we all dream to be, that we all believe that if we keep up the training we will look like her (genetics be damned I say). The "Runner" is that long limbed lithe creature who positively glides along the surface. It is almost as though their feet are not touching the ground. You know the type, they are on the cover of Runner's World every month. Even after a tough 8 mile hill run they look mildly out of breath. The "Runner" is the stereotype. The advertising they use to get you started.  Most of us will never be that person on the outside, but as the clichĂ© says - we are already that person on the inside.




The Last Couple of Weeks Running
The last couple of weeks in running has been up and down. I was down with a cold that put me out for one of the long group runs. Which was annoying. I did start my morning routine which I think is the way to go and I am working hard to keep that up. I finally went and bought some compression sleeves for my legs. With bad circulation I have begun to notice that my legs are taking longer and longer to get going. I am running too many training runs with heavy dragging legs that make it not enjoyable. I bought some sleeves last week and they have been my miracle. I feel so much lighter and stronger in my legs which is great as it lets me concentrate on running rather than on how bad my legs fell.

DATE
DISTANCE
TIME
PACE/HOUR
Saturday 13 July
4 miles
44:49
11:32
Tuesday 16 July
3 miles
35:21
11:45
Wednesday 17 July
3 miles
35:10
11:33
Saturday 20 July
6 miles
1:10:48
11.23
Tuesday 23 July
3 miles
33:11
11:07
Wednesday 24 July
4 miles
47:21
11:46
Thursday 25 July - HIIT
2.3 miles
28:36
12:00
Saturday 27 July – Speed work
6.36 miles
1:12:21
11:19
Tuesday 30 July - Hills
2.25 miles
25:19
11:19
Wednesday 31 July
4 miles
48:03
12.:02
Thursday 1 August
NONE
Saturday 3 August
NONE
Monday 5 August
3 miles
33:43
10:55
Wednesday 7 August
3 miles
35:25
11:48
Saturday 10 August
5.27 miles
1:05:12
12.22
Tuesday 13 August
3 miles
32:40
10:46
Saturday 17 August (hills)
4 miles
1:04:50
13:27

Lara

No comments:

Post a Comment