27 May 2012

The low-fat foodie

I like my food.  As Mr Lapin will attest I enjoy great food with a glass of good wine - the latter unfortunately difficult to get here in Thailand. And while I like to think I eat well my recent medical showed to the contrary and that I need to become more focused about what I eat, erring perhaps on the side of the low-fat end of the dietary scale.

At the same time as my Doctor suggesting I go low-fat, he did remind me that I am still out gunning the bad cholesterol with high good cholesterol numbers - this I put down to regular running, olive oil and garlic.  For the last two, I thank my mum who brought us up on what is now termed a Mediterranean diet, but to her was just how you cooked and ate food. Lots of vegetables, garlic and herbs, fish and olive oil. So eating well for me is not about a radical change of life long habits but is about becoming more intentional on what I cook and how much I am eating.


So under doctors orders I have found a renewed energy to make the effort to cook the majority of our suppers.  I enjoy cooking but I have fallen into the rut of believing that I am too 'tired' to cook when I get home.  This past week has reminded me that spending time preparing food is an incredibly relaxing activity.  It helps me wind down after a day at work, it makes me use my brain in a more creative way than I have been for the previous 8 hours.  It has also reintroduced me to the cornucopia of tastes and textures that you find when you eat great food.

For this post I am presenting to you some of the better dishes I prepared this week.  They are full of good flavours, with not an additive in sight and nothing was deep fried in the making of them.

Sautéed Spinach with pimento



Baked white fish with mustard seed, ginger, lime and tarragon



Fish with capers, garlic and ginger again baked in the oven


Roasted red, yellow and green peppers with basil, lemon and olive oil

Not quite the low-fat foodie, but certainly on the way to better nutrition and I hope that it translates into losing some of those stubborn kilos which in turn will help with my running, increasing my speed and reducing my times.  You see, everything is connected!

1 comment: